Monday, September 8, 2008

house of sand and fog.. one.

First off, I really enjoyed the book. It was interesting to see the difference in each ones lives and how they intertwined. The author did a great job in using the first person perspective and it really helped you choose between Kathy or Behrani.

Personally I cannot choose who is right, because in my opinion they both were wrong, so I don't want to nessicarily take sides, but I can atleast say i feel sypmathy for Kathy. She's had quite a rough life. Parental acceptance seemed to be an issue, and that possibly resulted in substance abuse and her easy attatchment to people. Yes she had a bad life, but that is not why I feel for her. No one deserves to have their house taken away, especially when it is the Government's mistake. You have to keep in mind that the house was rightfully hers anyway, because she mentions that it was fully paid for. How do you make a mistake like that, and then go on like it is nothing. That would probably bother me the most if I was in Kathys shoes.

Although Berhani and his family were in exile from their country, he wasn't exactly the perfect Colonel. If it wasn't for him being in the secret police, SAVAK, he never would have had to leave in the first place. Yes he has a family to take care of, but he should have thought of that. I don't understand why I am so against him, maybe it is the fact that he justlooks down to all Americans, but who knows ha ha. It also upsets me that his way of life is living a lie. He is in a fabricated world and comes off as if he was still a Colonel, which is not the case anymore.

They areso similar that they're stubborness tries to out role the others and they don't even know it. Because of the books point ofview, you're able to look at both and realize how they both do what they have to do for themselves, whether or not it hurts the other. It is in a sense that if one lives, the other must die. That is how I see it anyway, and in the end, death is the result. If one can't have their way.. they both can't.

No comments: